Ice Cream Sandwiches
Who doesn’t love an ice cream sandwich on a hot summer day? Cookies and ice cream, it just doesn’t get much better. Try finding an allergen free ice cream sandwich at your local convenience store. Here is my homemade ice cream sandwich recipe. Dress it up a bit by rolling the edges in coconut flakes, sprinkles or nuts if you can have them. I added chocolate chips because my kids are chocolate chip fanatics. They can easily be subbed with carob chips. I used Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips. Make the cookies whatever size you like. When my kids were little I made the cookies a lot smaller, big enough to fit their little hands. Now that they are both over 6 feet tall the cookies are a lot bigger. Just remember smaller cookies will require less cooking time. I let the cookies get nice and brown so they are very crispy. The ice cream filling will soften the cookie once they sit for a bit. You can make a bunch of these ahead, wrap in foil wrap and store in the freezer for about a week.
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar or sugar of your choice
- 3/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup rice milk or milk of your choice
- 1 – 334g package of Allergic Solution™ Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Place apple cider vinegar, sugar, oil, vanilla extract and rice milk in a large mixing bowl.
3) Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until sugar is dissolved.
4) Gradually add Pancake & Waffle Mix and mix on medium speed until completely combined and resembles cookie dough.
5) Scoop with ice cream scoop dough and roll into medium(cookie) ball, place on parchment paper lined cookie tray, spacing each cookie “ball” approximately 4 – 5 cm apart.
6) Repeat step 5 until dough finished and on cookie tray.
7) Using oiled palms , flatten each cookie “ball” so each cookie is approximately 1 cm thick.
7) Place in preheated oven for 15 – 17 minutes.
I let mine get nice and brown so they would be really crunchy
Once cooled take two cookies, place a scoop of your favourite Ice cream, (I used coconut bliss vanilla) on top of one cookie, using second cookie press down evenly until ice cream is smooshed down enough to fill entire centre of cookie. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to serve.