My kids are half Italian and grew up with Nonna making them Nutella sandwiches when they came home from school. I always cringed at the white bread and Nutella loaded with sugar. (Ingredients for Nutella – Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Hazelnuts (13%), Skim Milk Powder (8.7%), Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder (7.4%), Emulsifier (Lecithins) (Soy), Flavouring (Vanillin).). Not really what I wanted my kids consuming!
After Nonna died the kids never got to have Nutella sandwiches because Mom refused to buy it. I was able to come up with a compromise which has stopped the mumbling about me being an abusive mother because I won’t let them eat Nutella (sorry guys!). Another staple for a Nonna is Pizzelle. If you have never had a pizzelle, you have to try them at least one. They are like a very thin crunchy waffle type cookie. My youngest son would eat a plate of Nonna’s home made pizzelle, he would eat them as fast as she could make them. I was thrilled when I figured out how to make GF Pizzelle because I could finally enjoy pizzelle again.
This recipe is a great marriage between Nutella and Pizzelle but allergen friendly. You can add the ice cream or leave it out, my guys love pizzelle smeared with Suntella (my version of Nutella). The ice cream just makes it extra special when the weather is hot and sunny.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (or anise extract if you want them the Nonna way)
- ¼ cup rice milk
1) Spray pizzelle iron with oil and preheat on medium setting.
2) Place eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla extract and rice milk in a large mixing bowl.
3) Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until sugar is dissolved.
4) Gradually add entire contents of pouch and mix on medium speed until completely combined and batter is smooth.
5) Scoop ½ tsp of pizzelle mixture into each cookie grid (pizzelle maker) and cook for 1 minute.
6) Gently lift out each cookie and place flat on cooling rack.
Makes 36 – 40 pizzelle
- 1/2 cup sunbutter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder or carob powder
Spread a generous amount of Suntella on each pizzelle. Top one pizzelle with a scoop of your favorite ice cream, I used a chocolate chip coconut ice cream. Place another pizzelle ontop, squeeze together gently.
You can wrap these in foil wrap and keep in freezer for a couple of weeks.